Interesting and Fun Facts About Animals and Insects
Did you know?
· A giraffe can clean its own ears with its 21 inch ling tongue.
· Unlike other four legged mammals, kangaroos can not walk backwards.
· Cheetahs are the fastest land animal and can reach speeds up to 72 mph.
· No 2 zebras have identical stripes.
· The biggest animal in the world is the blue whale. It has a heart the size of a car and a tongue as long as an elephant.
· In one night, an adult hippopotamus eats approximately 150 lbs of grass.
· A full grown horse’s intestines are approximately 89 feet long.
· The fastest swimming fish in the world is the swordfish.
· Hummingbirds are the only animals capable of flying backwards.
· There are more than a million animal species.
· A baby kangaroo is called a joey.
· A group of crows is called a murder.
· A Basenji dog is the only dog that is not able to bark.
· A cat spends 70% of its time sleeping.
· Just like finger prints, every dog and cat’s nose prints are different.
· Dolphins and swim and sleep at the same time.
· An elephant can drink 80 gallons of water a day.
· Male rabbits are called bucks and females are called does.
· Lions can not roar until they are age two.
· A group of storks is called a mustering.
· The most dangerous animal (rated according to the number of people they have killed) is the hippopotamus.
· Bulls are color blind.
· A goldfish has a memory of 3 seconds.
· A group of kangaroos is called a mob.
· A honey bee strokes its wings about 11500 times a minute.
· Koalas sleep up to 19 hours a day.
· A group of lions is called a pride.
· Polar bears can smell seals who are 20 miles away.
· A scorpion can have up to 12 eyes.
· In a lifetime, the average house cat spends approximately 10950 hours purring.
· Bloodhounds have been used since the 1600’s for tracking criminals.
· An elephant’s truck can hold 2 ½ gallons of water.
· A butterfly’s taste sensors are located below their feet.
· A collection of jelly fish is called a smack.
· It takes 12 honeybees to make 1 teaspoon of honey.
· Dalmatian puppies do not have any spots on them when they are born. They develop them as they get older.
· Chow Chows have blue tongues.
· The giraffe and rat can survive longer without water than a camel can.
· A bunch of rabbits are called a warren.
· The moisture that is on the tip of a dog’s nose helps the dog detect odors.
· Studies have shown that listening to classical music helps cows produce more milk.
· Pigs do not have any sweat glands, which is why they stay in water or mud to keep cool.
· The tallest dogs are the Irish Wolfhound and the Great Dane.
· On the average, 350 squirts are needed from milking a cow to make a gallon of milk.
· Birds can sleep with one eye open.
· Polar bears are left handed.
· A baby goat is called a kid
· The flea can jump 350 times its body length, which is like a human jumping the length of a football field.
· An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
· A group of gorillas is called a band.
· A chimpanzee can learn to recognize itself in a mirror, but monkeys can't.
· A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.
· The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand, weighing less than a penny.
· Baby sharks are called cubs.
· A baby seal is called a pup.
· A cat uses whiskers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through. The whiskers act as antennae, helping the animal to judge the precise width of any passage.
· Ants don't sleep.
· A group of dogs is called a pack.
· A baby owl is called an owlet
· A crocodile can't move its tongue and cannot chew. Its digestive juices are so strong that it can digest a steel nail.
· Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.
· Ostriches live about 75 years and can reproduce for 50 years.
· A baby beaver is called a kit.
· A group of finches is called a charm.
· A baby zebra is called a colt.